Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Week Seven

It was more or less a chilled week this week, just spinning some quality tunes. Unfortunately the album review segment has to take a backseat for a while - blame uni and just being too busy. Tried to make the show as interesting as possible, featuring a live, new Coldplay track called 'Speed of Sound' which will incidently be the new single! The new album X&Y will be released some time in july. Check out www.coldplay.com for more details. Thanks to Elle for passing on that track!!

I had a look at the idea of the mixed tape (or CD for the digitals, I like the analgoue, hehe) as being the ultimate gesture of indie romance. How much fun is it to make a mix tape? I could spend all day getting it right. At the risk of sounding corny, a song can mean so much to you that it becomes more than a song, so much so that it becomes ingrained in you. So you put a song on a mix tape and it's almost as if your baring part of your soul to the lucky person receiving it. It's a very personal gesture. You want to melt my heart, just give me a mix tape! What got me on to this is that Gary Lightbody of Snow Patrol fame recently put together a compilation of his favourite songs on a CD called 'The Trip', mostly obscure songs at that. It can also be a chance to show off how indie you really are (although I discourage all notions of pretentiousness). So i featured a few bands off 'The Trip' including Four Tet and Secret Machines.



The mix tape: The epitome of indie rock romance


And for the most exciting part: REM played on Sunday night at Rod Laver Arena and apparently blew the minds of excited audience members who managed to grab setlists ;) Fantastic. And Bright Eyes, who supported, also played a gig at Melbourne's Prince of Wales last night, and OMG, left me and everyone else speechless. The boy looked like he was going to burst into tears at some points, his fragile voice so so amazing! Mostly a mellow set, he didn't stray too far from the new album 'I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning' but 'Lua' and 'Landlocked Blues' nearly made me cry! He also got suitably drunk by the end, although the slurred words, half closed eyes and unco-ordinated movements could have been all part of that brilliant act. Magical night!

Post a messge, you read this you must post a message! Thanks for the lovely SMS's always puts a smile on my face. If you went to REM or Bright Eyes tell me what you thought!

Playlist for Monday 4th April:

Ryan Adams - This is it
Interpol - Obstacle 1
REM - Half a World Away
Bright Eyes - Something Vague
Bright Eyes - Lover I don't have to Love
The Shins - Pink Bullets
Keiser Chiefs - I Predict a Riot
Collapsis - Be Silent my Everything
Something For Kate - Twenty Years
P.J. Harvey - To Bring you my Love
Secret Machines - Nowhere Again
Four Tet - Everything is Alright
Snow Patrol - Chocolate
Coldplay - Speed of Sound (live, new single!)
Infusion - The Careless Kind
The Chemical Brothers - The Boxer
Doves - Snowden
Bloc Party - Positive Tension
Rufus Wainwright - Across the Universe (original by The Beatles)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone else think that coldplay is sounding a little bit U2-esque on these new live recordings?

Does this mean they will be positive but in a stoic sort of way from now on rather then just depressing?

4:44 AM  
Blogger amanda said...

I agree with the U2 thang, to an extent, but I dunno about Coldplay being depressing Damien! Their music has always been uplifting for me. Maybe some lyrical content but generally not too depressing!

5:39 AM  
Blogger Eleanor said...

Hmm, interesting idea D, though you can hardly expect Coldplay to rabbit on like in the good ol' epicurian mainstream.

Adore the indie mixed tape Amanda. I have spent many a year preparing the perfect tape. I remember narrowing down about 120 songs to 17 for my formal tape in year 12.. gosh, what love rockstars can impart..

So pleased you had a fun time at Bright Eyes! Faves this week are Kaiser Chiefs, Bloc & Rufey. Mmm.

5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home