Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Week Eight

I know it's so very commercial radio, but I had a competition this week! Something to get excited about, congrats to Michael who won! The prize was a very cool, funny, original t shirt from Rong made exclusively by Damien Ryan, a good friend of mine. Check out the website for free classifieds and more cool shirts! Michael told us a funny t shirt story to win his prize - a bunch of his mates always wear hi-brow band t shirts (like you do if you're indie) and one day someone decided to wear an Avril Lavigne one and was frowned upon accordingly. His defence: he hates the music but would like to go to bed with her! So from that point on Britney and Avril made regular appearances on the t shirts of a not so hi-brow group of indie heads! Thanks for calling Michael, hope you enjoy your new merchandise. Thank you also Damien, hope you enjoyed sitting in the pretentious indie chair for the night.

In music news...

Ryan Adams is releasing three new albums this year, the first of which will be a double album! How incredibly amazing. The double album is said to be released on May 3rd and is called 'Cold Roses'. The guy broke his hand semi-recently but he just keeps soldiering on. He has a new backing band, the Cardinals, and lets hope they come out here soon! Ryan also broke up with his girlfriend, actress Parker Posey, of two years. To that I say: Ryan, I am yours!



Rock Star!


Splendour in the Grass first lineup has been announced!! And it's a pearler! Included are Bloc Party, Interpol, Queens of the Stone Age, Moby, Sarah Blasko and Shihad. There will be many more announced but I am already sold. See you at Byron Bay on July 23 and 24.

Wolf and Cub are supporting Wolfmother on their tour! The bands sound nothing alike; Wolfmother is pure 70s rock ala Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin while Wolf and Cub sound like The Rapture. I guess they share similar names...

Come on down to the last Flipside ever this Thursday April 14th Upstairs @ A Bar Called Barry in Smith st Collingwood, for $2 pots, free entry and awesome indie tunes!

Playlist for Monday 11th April:

Air - Playground Love
The Cure - Close to Me
Interpol - Slow Hands
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane over the Sea
Maximo Park - Apply some Pressure
Ryan Adams - English Girls Approximately
Bright Eyes - Lua
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Supernaturally
Wolf and Cub - Thousand Cuts
Blueline Medic - Plight 217
The Beatles - Two of Us
Pulp - This is Hardcore
Elliott Smith - Strung Out Again
Spearmint - Left Alone Among the Living
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Rich
Elbow - Not a Job
Placebo - Where is my Mind? (live) (original by The Pixies)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Amanda,
I lurve your show. It's a shame i can't tune in on ya in bendigo cos commericial radio sucks. You absolutely rock my world!!! Keep up the good work!! And keep playing the sweet sweet stuff.

Ohhh, you gotta play some Frou Frou for us, Let go is an awesome song!!

Vic

2:44 AM  
Blogger Eleanor said...

Awesome show tonight Amanda, it was fantabulous. Faves were the Cure, Interpol, Maximo and Pulp indefinetly. Wolf and Cub were really great too, you have to tell me more.. I'm sorry I didn't get to call up for hibrowteeshirtshenanigans but be sure it won't be the last time I indulges in such things.

Vic - I lovelovelove Frou Frou! However do you know them!?! Close Up and their cover of Holding out for Hero is awesome!

3:38 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I have a self-made Velvet Underground tshirt that at least one friend tells me off for wearing because it's too pretentious.

4:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Amanda,
I'm real disappointed that I didn't get to listen this week(damn work meetings!!), especially since you played Eliott Smith. Anyway, your show rocks and I won't miss it a second time.

Marc

6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Amanda,

Great setup that you've got here. And your playlists are looking quite good, gd to see that the cure are still getting some airplay :P . Can't wait to tune in next week and listen to you strut your stuff. Take care and all the best,

Nathan

6:32 AM  
Blogger amanda said...

Oh I am feeling the love guys! Thanks so much for all ur kind words. Vic - I shall play Frou Frou for you. El - see, Australian bands aren't all bad! They can sound exactly like their US and UK counterparts, hehe.

ok now for my pretenious t shirt - P.J. Harvey with a really ugly photo of her face printed on the shirt. Jason thinks it would make me look ugly but I figure that my face has got to look prettier than the one on the shirt! Tis so cool!

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home