Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Week Ten

Wow, it's already the second last week before this grid is over. Gosh it's gone fast. Hopefully I'll be on next grid, fingers crossed for me guys. Regardless of the potential ending looming near, I had quite a bit of fun this week. Wolfmother are pretty amazing live, they played a third show at the corner on ANZAC day, thats crazy! Three shows for the guys, I swear they will reach Jet status, although I hope the music won't succumb to crapness like the aforementioned group. I think not. Not with a rockin' show like that! So energetic, the singer sporting such a cool afro and thick sidies, dressed in 70s gear and pulling off some great rock moves. Some great new songs mixed in too. My Wolfmother-crazed friend Adrian rang the studio and did a brief review of the gig with me, which went well I think! Thanks a lot for that Adrian. Also, check out some Midnight Juggernauts, the supports band, 2 guys, synths included hehe. Part of the whole electro/dance/rock move me thinks.



Wolfmother: Black Sabbath part 2


Had a look at post-rock music, which, according to the humble opinion of Amanda, is pretentious music to the max. Although I do admit, it can be very beautiful, but you have to have the patience to find that beauty. It's traditionally very long and drawn out, meandering, shoe-gazing stuff. We're talking songs that can go past the 10 minute mark. Consequently they can be very intense, but radio confines me to playing songs under 5 minutes (not by rule, but because I don't want to bore myself or my humble listener). Some bands that come to mind are Mogwai, God Speed You! Black Emperor, Sigur Ros (hailing from iceland and singing a weird mixture of icelandic and english gibberish), A Silver mt Zion, Set Fire to Flame ETC. Anyway, before this becomes long and drawn out, post-rock music is definately worth checking out, using rock elements but in a postmodern sort of way?

My new band of the week is Longwave. These guys are amazing, hope you enjoyed the song I played. They're from New York, so yah, of course they're cool. Pretty sure they're in the process of a new album (dubbed a concept album about a sea monster?) with producer John Leckie who has worked with Radiohead, Stone Roses, Pink Floyd, George Harrison and John Lennon. Hmmm...

Thank you so much for the SMSs, lovely, lovely people. If you want me to play a song for you, post a comment, ask me, I shall deliver!! (hopefully...)

Playlist for Monday 25th April

The Dears - Who are you, Defenders of the Universe
Bit by Bats - All Night
Bloc Party - Luno
Grandaddy - The Crystal Lake
Death Cab For Cutie - The Sound of Settling
Something For Kate - Prick
Augustus - Distant Shores
The Killers - Midnight Show
Wolfmother - Woman
Longwave - River (Depot Song)
Joseph Arthur - Honey and the Moon
Mogwai - Dial: Revenge
Laura - We Should Keep this Secret
Sigur Ros - Leit af Lifi
Motor Vehicle Sundown - Shouting Out
Love of Diagrams - New Fury
Keane - Untitled 1
The Flaming Lips - After the Gold Rush (original by Neil Young)

5 Comments:

Blogger Eleanor said...

Lovely show and write up Amanda -- you even wrote GOSH. Hehe. Congrats on the fantastic spot you've got for next grid, no doubt belief will become even more of an institution at SYN :D

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just listening to you atm on syn, and your playing some pretty groovy music IF you got time could you chuck on a song for me, THe killers - ANdy your a STar, that would be awesome!

3:01 AM  
Blogger amanda said...

Hey thanks for listening annonymous!! Unfortunately i don't have access to the net when I'm on air, so I didn't get your msg till after the show! But I shall play Andy for you next week!! Cheers :)

5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wolfmother are awesome. so are midnight juggernauts. yay!

12:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I'm inspired! Extremely useful information particularly the closing part :) I handle such information much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

Here is my web blog: reputation management

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home