Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Week Eleven

So, SYN grid 1 for 2005 has come to an end. It was so awesome, I've had so much fun. Not to worry though, loyal listeners, cos I am still on air for grid two, but in a bigger and better time slot! Tune in next week from 8-10pm! Should be lotsa fun. My friend Mason is taking me to see Dogs Die in Hot Cars on friday night (may 6th) cos he has door passes! So he'll be coming on the show to talk all things about Dogs and spin some fantastic indie tunes. Looking forward to it.

This week I had a Brit Pop retrospective spured on by The Tears new single 'Refugees'. The Tears consist of Bernard Butler and Brett Anderson, formally of Suede. They have a new album out due in June sometime called 'Here come The Tears'. I think that Refugees sounds a LOT like Suede, but I suppose that is to be expected, really. So I looked at all things Brit Pop and had a chat about the classic Blur/Oasis rivalry that was well documented in the 'Live Forever' documentary (rockumentary?). Always good to go back and look at the British scene back then and compare to now! The Tears was especially for Peter, who SMSed in for them last week. Thanks a lot and keep them coming. SMS when I'm on air: 0427 767 767

Here's what Liam Gallagher had to say about the latest bands in the UK music scene:
Franz Ferdinand: "nonsense, million miles an hour music that's not going anywhere."
Pete Doherty of The Libertines: "I’m not into smackheads. Smackheads need slaps… So what does the word Libertine mean? What does it mean? Freedom? He’s fucking in the corner doing smack with a helmet on his head! There’s nothing free about that. It’s nasty, innit? If the kids like them, fair enough, but they’re nowhere near like us. The music’s rubbish for start”.
Sister Scissors: “If that’s what they call entertaining then let them ‘av it - bright colours and fucking weirdos on stilts? I’m more entertaining than that cunt. And I’ll rip his fucking vocal chords out anyday because he’s fucking rubbish.”
Bloc Party: “a band off University Challenge, like they’re sitting on a panel or something”
The Kaiser Chiefs: “a bad Blur”

Hmmm, considering the current state of Oasis' music at the moment I'd say he should shut his mouth. But when has Liam EVER done that? I'll play the new Oasis single on the show next week.




Yes, I am God


Congrats to Elle on a brilliant last show on Music is my Radar, what an awesome 20 weeks she has had! Expect her as a guest on my show soon.

Playlist for Monday 2nd May:

The Devoted Few - Misery Loves Company
The Golden Republic - You Almost Had it
The Rapture - Heaven
The Pale Pacific - All my Friends
Kings of Leon- Holy Roller Novocaine
Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)
At the Drive In - Pattern Against User
The Tears - Refugees
Suede - Animal Nitrate
Oasis - Live Forever
Blur - Boys and Girls
Pulp - Disco 20000
Ride - Vapour Trail
Stone Roses - Waterfall
Youth Group - Shadowlands
Radiohead - Myxomatosis
South - Paint the Silence
Bluebottle Kiss - I Put a Spell on You (original by Screamin' Jay Hawkins)

6 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

You mixed up Liam's Bloc Party and Kaiser Chiefs quotes. :P

Dogs Die In Hot Cars have Inpress front page this week, and gig of the week. Yay!

7:27 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

haha, you got me on that one. I shall fix now. Really looking forward to Dogs Die in Hot Cars on friday night. p.s. I have the new Ryan Adams song ready to play too!

12:03 AM  
Blogger Eleanor said...

That Bloc thing about them being University Challenge is hilarious. Totally true. No one should take Liam very seriously, he's trying to maintain his mid90s britpop persona. He did nothing but diss.

The new album is very average indeed. Though I can't dispute efforts like Morning Glory. Perfection, really. But you can't confuse arrogance with the music thing. People have done that with bands like Razorlight and it's really screwed with people's minds.

Rant over. Amazing show, Amanda, loved it to pieces. God isn't britpop bliss? Thank you for your support these past few months, it's truly meant so much to me! Can't wait til our adventures this weekend, see you soon, xxxx

10:41 AM  
Blogger amanda said...

Nono I must say thank you El. So glad to have met you. I'm sure you will provide me with much material these coming weeks. I think every indie head has gone through a Britpop phase, it's inevitable really. I think Morning Glory was one of my first 'real' CDs, hehe a birthday present in year 5? That was it, the musicalness began...

8:55 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I think my first CD was either Garbage's self-titled debut or Hit Machine 12...

6:11 PM  
Blogger Eleanor said...

My first CD was Ace of Base.

My first tape was a hybrid, Milli Vanilli, Erasure, Cat Stevens and the Carpenters :)

What a legacy!

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home